Annually Memorial Day Weekend
Registration is OPEN!
We hope you will be joining us this year! The Southern California Family Camp is the Flagship Family Camp for California Hands & Voices. Family Camp is held over Memorial Day weekend at a YMCA facility in Julian, California (near San Diego). This camp has been making a difference in the lives of children and their families since 2000. Below you will find information on camp location, registration details, deadline to register (when the cabins are full, registration will close), camp fees, a sample weekend schedule, and links to the required camp waivers and other important documents. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us. We look forward to seeing you at camp!
Donations and volunteers make Family Camp possible!
Our per-person cost to host Family Camp at Camp Marston YMCA went up exponentially this in 2023. YMCA now charges us $180 for each attendee at Family Camp, including our volunteers and support staff.
... In addition to the YMCA per person cost we also have additional costs, including but not limited to: t-shirts, speaker fees, interpreters, arts & crafts, parent and children's program snacks, etc.
We appeal to any family who can make a donation to Southern California Family Camp (no amount is too small) when registering. These funds help us offer the camp at a rate that is lower than we are charged.
Camp T-Shirt: T-shirts are complimenty for children registration. Adults have the option to order a t-shirt during the registration process.
Funding needed: If you have a passion for fundraising, would like to make an in-kind donation, enjoy grant writing, or would like to be a part of the planning committee, please email to discuss.
Camp Location and Lodging Details
Family camp is held Memorial Day weekend at Camp Marston, a 230-acre mountain retreat in the San Diego County mountains. YMCA Camp Marston been providing a first-rate camping experience for families of all ages since 1921, offering quality lodging, delicious food, and fun outdoor activities that allow our campers to engage with San Diego’s beautiful backcountry.
THE CLIMBING TOWER
... and much more
The grass sports area provides a wonderful setting for our outdoor activities and nearby trails and forests invite families to enjoy the picturesque hills of Julian. Parent meetings are held in the Holmes Lodge, a spacious meeting room that can easily accommodate our growing group.
- Each lodge has four bedrooms which sleep up to six people.
- A nice sized community room complete with couches, tables, and a wood-stove.
- A men’s and women’s bathroom and showers just down the hall
- Carpeted floors and comfortable bunks make you want to stay for a long, long time!
Camp Marston is San Diego’s oldest and best-known overnight camp, operating year-round on over two hundred acres of pristine mountain land next to Lake Jessop. With extensive activities ranging from archery to arts and crafts, Camp Marston is proud to offer the ultimate camping experience – whose friendly and professional staff members elevate Camp Marston to something truly wonderful.
IMPORTANT: Registration will close when the cabins are FULL!
- Register on our website
- Paid Members of CA H&V qualify for a discounted rate to attend Family Camp. (Family membership rate: $25 annually)
- If you are not yet a member of CA H&V you may become a member during registration and instantly qualify for the discounted rate.
- Make payment
- Payment is made via PayPal during registration. You will have the opportunity to set up a payment plan when registering.
- To pay by check please select Pay by Check.
Check can be mailed within 10 business days to:
California Hands & Voices
c/o Cora Shahid
15274 Andorra Way
San Diego CA 92129
- Mail waivers
- Get ready to have a blast
- A confirmation email will be sent when the two waivers have been received and your registration is finalized.
- Registration is final when full payment is received and waivers have been submitted.
- Member Weekend Rate - $150 per person
- Non-Member Weekend Rate - $170 per person
Check in: Starts Friday 4:00p
Camp Ends: Sunday at Noon
Saturday Day Camp Rate:
- Member Saturday Day Camper Rate - $100 per person
- Non-Member Saturday Day Camper Rate - $120 per person
Check in: Saturday 7:30am. (breakfast ends at 8:15am)
Ends: Saturday 8:30pm (no over night stay)
- Children Age of 1 and under are FREE
- Children under 12 months of age will remain with parent
- Children 1+ will be added to a children's program group
- Children can not move to a different group for multiple reasons.
Sample Camp Schedule
4:00 pm—Arrival and check-in
7:00 pm—Orientation & parent’s icebreaker | Children’s activities
8:45 pm—Parent pick-up children
8:30 am—Group photo | Family opening circle
9:15 am—Parent sessions | Children’s activities
1:00 pm—Parent sessions | Children’s activities
2:30 pm—Family free time (games, t-shirt tie dying, pool, archery, riflery, crafts, etc.)
6:30 pm—Skit practice
6:45 pm—Campfire program
8:00 pm—Sing for s’mores
9:00 pm—Family night hike
8:45 am—Parent sessions | Children’s activities
11:30 am—Slide show & volunteer recognition
12:00 pm—Camp Ends
Please note: Volunteers will be responsible for supervising children during children’s activities only. Parents are expected to be responsible for their children at all other times
Children’s group note: The children’s group director works hard to ensure that all children are placed in appropriate groups and have a great weekend! Children can not be moved to another group once camp has started. It creates a ripple effect and is very difficult to work out on the spot. Thank you for your understanding and support!
Important Information for Southern California Family Camp
Important documents and tips about camp:
Volunteer at Family Camp
Thank you for your interest in volunteering for Family Camp. Our volunteers are very important to the success of camp. Each year we are inspired and thrilled by the number of passionate people who want to spend their Memorial Day weekend with us!
To be considered as a volunteer, please apply here
Volunteer Interviews will be conducted after April 15th, then prior to the May volunteer meeting, the selected volunteers will be contacted with more information. Feel free to contact us if you have any questions.
- Supervise children during scheduled children's activities
- Organize and supervise arts and crafts activities
- Assure the safety and well-being of participating children
- Communicate with and assist other counselors
- Maintain and care for equipment and materials
- All volunteers are required to attend a training in May
- Be at Family Camp from 1:00pm Friday -Sunday 1:30pm.
Volunteers will receive
- Free room and meals for the weekend
- Free camp shirt
- Community service letter, upon request
There are two types of Volunteers: Counselors and Counselor Assistants
- Counselor: To apply for this position, you must be 18 years or older and have completed High School. College Students and Professionals working in the field are appreciated.
- Counselor Assistant: In order to apply you must be 16, 17, or 18 and in grade 11 or 12. Previous experience as a camper or volunteer is strongly preferred.
Per Person Fees
CA H&V fundraises $225+ per volunteer (YMCA fee $180 and Camp Shirt + other costs). If you have the capacity to donate to Southern California Family Camp (in any amount) we would be so grateful! Thank you for your consideration.
Much Needed Donations!
Donations are needed both to cover our fabulous volunteers who help make camp possible and to keep the per-person rate as low as possible for families. Thank you in advance for your support! Generous donation of time, money, and resources from organizations and individuals like you make everything we do achievable.
How to Donate
- Donate via PayPalPlease select which camp you would like to support, "Southern, Northern, or Inland Valley", in the dropdown field on PayPal.
- Checks payable to California Hands & Voices can be mailed to our business address.Please note which camp you would like to support, "Southern, Northern, or Inland Valley", in the Memo line of your check.
California Hands & Voices
c/o Cora Shahid
15274 Andorra Way
San Diego CA 92129
- If you are interested in an in-kind donation please contact us.
Current Year Camp Info
May 2024: Inside Out
Previous Years Camp Info
May 2023: Adam's Family (with the focus on FAMILY)
May 22-24, 2020: Ninja Warrior
(CANCELED 4/9/2020 due to Covid-19)
May 22-24, 2019: Toy Story
- Are meals provided?
Yes. 5 meals are provided. Dinner Friday, 3 meals Saturday and Breakfast Sunday. We encourage families to bring their favorite snacks and drinks for between meals.
- Are hearing siblings a part of camp?
Yes. Siblings are a part of the children's program and can join in on all of the fun too!
- Do we sleep in a tent?
No. We are all in cabins with beds, hot showers and even a fireplace. (see below)
- Can I make payments?
- My child uses (fill in the blank) language - is Family Camp for our family too?
YES! All families with Deaf and Hard of Hearing children are welcome at Family Camp! Regardless of technology, language opportunities, education placements, disabilities etc. etc. We provide a respectful and non-judgmental space for all families with Deaf and Hard of Hearing children. We are stronger together and learn so much from one another. We hope you join us.