#TogetherThursday will continue to share resources. As COVID continues to dominate the headlines and many re-openings are paused and schools are in the throws of discussions about how, where and when to re-open:
How are you having these conversations with your DHH children?
This week I wanted to highlight KidPower:
- Kid Power is a non profit organization that supports “people safety” in various aspects such as Child Protection, Bullying, Sexual Abuse and other tough realities.
- They have created an entire eHandbook which has a “30 Skill Challenge” regarding how to teach children and teens emotional and physical safety
This resource is being provided free during this time of COVID-19.
In addition, KidPower has many of these resources in various languages to support different families, including yours, for example grandparents who may access information in a different language.
- They have created many COVID-19 specific articles including “Staying safe in your imagination!” and Safety tips for families: Link
- In addition to KidPower, there are many other resources for COVID and those tough conversations, with younger children.
- For example, looping back to Sesame Street, here is the town hall held by CNN where Characters and Children asked real life doctors tough questions about COVID and what that means for them: Link
- Captions available.
- In addition, there are many “Social Stories” for COVID made for younger children and children who may have a beginning level of understanding. What social stories are and some related to COVID specifically can be found and downloaded for free here: Link
As we continue on this journey together, any support and communication to your DHH child can support their processing and understanding of the world around them and can support them in better handling this and other tough situations in the future.
Please let me know if you’d like to see any specific resource or topic highlighted in the next few weeks. We have some other great ones in the wings ready and would LOVE to read through any and all recommendations for what has worked for YOUR family.
We can, Together,